Galutzi owner Pete Green is overwhelmed by the support from the community and fellow business owners following a string of break-ins which targeted his cafe on Meehan Street, Thyme To Taste on Comur Street and Yass Bowling Club.

Police have charged a man after a string of break-ins in Yass, leading to property damage and stolen cash at three venues.

Thyme to Taste Cafe and Galutzi Café were broken into on the night of Tuesday, September 29 while Yass Bowling Club was hit next on Wednesday the 30th.

Yass Police have charged a man for all three break-ins and other property offences and he will attend court next month.

“Really good police work by local police led us to identify the suspect and charge him,” said Acting Inspector Dave Cowell.

Galutzi Café had a window forced open where the suspect entered the café and proceeded to cut an electrical cord to the cash register to steal it. The damage caused a short in the circuit which shut off power and Galutzi Café lost fridge stock as a result. The cafe was unable to open on Wednesday because of this as well as cooperating with the Forensic Police who finished gathering evidence around midday.

Galutzi Café was able to reopen on Thursday, October 1 after they spent Wednesday preparing more food supplies to replace what was lost.

“I would like to thank the community for their understanding, the police who came to help us and the effort they put in to looking after us and making us feel safe. Also, other cafes, Thyme to Taste, and Trader and Co for making sure we were ok, it is really pleasing to get support from other businesses, especially competitors,” said Pete Green owner of Galutzi Café.

Andrew Dodd, owner of Thyme to Taste kept his business agile after the break-ins, switching to takeaway service while forensic police worked at the scene.

Thyme to Taste had a glass door broken to enter the premises where the suspect stole some loose change and the tips jar.

The deli and café in Yass still opened on Wednesday, September 30, providing take away coffee and sandwiches while waiting for Forensic Police to conduct fingerprinting and gather evidence at the scene of the crime. They opened for business as usual later that afternoon.

“Big shoutout to the guys from Yass Windscreens and Glass who came in and fixed the door straight away on Wednesday. They were fast and did a great job,” said the owner of Thyme to Taste Leanne Sutton.

Police allege the suspect resumed the break-in spree on Wednesday night at Yass Bowling Club, damaging property and stealing cash.

Police round up

On Saturday, October 3, just after midnight, a 42-year-old man was drinking in a local hotel. He was asked to leave the premises by staff. It is alleged he became argumentative and refused to vacate the venue. Police were called and spoke to the man who was issued a $550 fine for failing to leave a licenced premise.

On Friday night around 11:15 pm, police were conducting mobile random breath tests near Jugiong. A 22-year-old Victorian man driving a ute was pulled over and undertook a roadside breath test which returned a positive reading. Police report checks on the vehicle showed it had been unregistered for some time. The man was taken back to Yass Police Station where he produced a reading of 0.94. He was charged with Midrange PCA and driving an unregistered vehicle, due to appear in court later this month.

Yass Police would like to remind everyone that social distancing rules are still in place.

“With the warmer months coming, I would ask everyone to remain vigilant with their hygiene regimes and social distancing to protect themselves and the rest of the community from COVID-19,” said Acting Inspector Dave Cowell.  If you are travelling or gathering, there are still restrictions in place on the number of people allowed in a group. Be mindful of those around you and stay safe.

Ryan Betts